Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Madison, Day 1

We rolled into Madison, WI at about 6 pm yesterday (for the National Poetry Slam). Here's what's happened between then and now:

  1. Ate noodles with the Denver Merc team, and was pointed at by Amy Everheart and Ken Arkind. These things are both firsts for me.
  2. Shared a table at the Nitty Gritty with a bunch of poets. Saw Alvin Lau dancing. Met Wonder Dave (from the Twin Cities), Clute (from Arizona) and Liza and Lee from Albuquerque.
  3. Nearly got lost in downtown Madison.
  4. Ate the most delicious pancakes in the world this morning, met even more poets.
This is awesome, folks; I'm meeting people I've only seen YouTube videos of (or heard of), and Madison is an absolutely gorgeous city (if I could marry its architecture, I'd so do it).

And there's a sign language slam!

We've got our first bout tonight. I have no idea what's going on, but it's fun.

For now, I'm going to spend some time with the Kansas reading and writing standards until orientation.